Writing can be a solitary act, but there’s a community out there for every genre and special interest. Joining an organization tailored to your genre or attending a genre-specific conference can help hone your craft as a writer. Other perks include author advocacy, peer review partners, and resources and workshops to advance your skills.
The following is a list of professional organizations and educational conferences for authors. I’ve done the research, so you don’t have to!
Note: There are organizations and conferences for all genres. This is not a comprehensive list; only a list curated for the genres I edit.
Romance Author Professional Organizations and Conferences
- Romance Writers of America (RWA) – With more than 100 in-person and online chapters, membership includes access to published and unpublished author resources, webinars, awards programs, local chapter meetups (at an extra membership charge), and a yearly in-person conference (at an extra fee for attendance).
- Romantic Novelists’ Association (RNA) – UK-based organization of 1,000+ members, focused on romance, commercial, and women’s fiction. Membership includes access to an award program, special events, and learning resources.
- Women’s Fiction Writers Association (WFWA) – Community of 1,000+ authors who identify as romance authors or have other driving elements that focus on the woman’s journey. Membership includes access to author retreats, workshops, webinars, contests, and writing resources.
- RWA Conference:
- July 14-17, 2021
- July 27-30, 2022
- July 19-22, 2023
- July 31 – Aug. 3, 2024
- RSJ Book Lovers’ Convention:
- Aug. 4-8, 2021
Science Fiction and Fantasy (SFF) Author Professional Organizations and Conferences
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) – For novice and experienced authors, SFWA provides programming, resources, awards programs, and an annual conference.
- Broad Universe – An organization dedicated to women writing in the SFF genre. Membership includes access to resources, forums, and a public directory of SFF authors.
- Fantasy, Futuristic, and Paranormal Online Chapter of RWA – For SFF with a central romance or romantic elements, this online chapter of RWA provides workshops, contests, and peer review partners.
- SFWA Nebula Conference:
- June 4-6, 2021
General Fiction Professional Organizations and Conferences
- The Authors Guild – For published authors looking for a community and a voice. Member benefits include legal aid, seminars, a resource library, and insurance coverage.
- NaNoWriMo – Also known as National Novel Writing Month, this organization supports writing fluency and education. Every November, authors are challenged to write 50,000 words.
- Mystery Writers of America – For mystery and crime writers, this organization has regional chapters with regular meetings and newsletters.
- Writer’s Digest Conference:
- July 22-25, 2021
- Association of Writers and Writing Programs Conference:
- March 23-26, 2022
- Literary Writers Conference:
- Future conferences TBD